Who Do We Serve
The Gateway Academy serves adolescents who have experienced difficulty in traditional school environments due to one or more of the following learning differences:
- Auditory Processing Disorder
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Receptive/Expressive Language Disability
- Non-Verbal Learning Disability
- Social Communication Disorder
- Other Mental Health related challenges
We prefer to describe students by the kinds of classroom difficulties they display:
- Adolescents who need a direct, systematic instructional program that makes very evident and unambiguous the logic – the rules- on which reading, writing, spelling, and arithmetic are based
- Adolescents who need a program that presents new information in a way that makes apparent the connections between what is being taught today and what was successfully learned in the past
- Adolescents who have a difficult time understanding the social rules for making and keeping friends
- Adolescents who tend to be disorganized, who often produce messy looking papers, who don’t seem to be able to follow directions and complete tasks that involve more than one step
- Adolescents who – despite at least average ability to learn general information from their experiences – perform in the classroom like they are one or two years behind their peers
- Adolescents who need a multi-sensory approach to learning
Letter from the Director
Dear Prospective Family,
One of the most difficult jobs parents face is not only finding the right educational environment for their child but completing the necessary steps to make that happen. We are here to help you in this process, to answer your questions, and to introduce you to our way of forming and educating students at Gateway Academy. Our conversation together about your child and our school will bring clarity to finding the best placement for your young student.
How do we start?
The best way to begin is to come to a parent tour. During tours, we make every effort to answer all of your questions and leave you with a strong indication of whether or not Gateway Academy fits your child’s needs.
What happens next?
If we discern together that Gateway Academy would be most beneficial, we can move to the application process and allow your child to “shadow” one of our current students for a day or more. It is very important to us that your child feels comfortable in the Gateway environment, as this will be the foundation for maximum growth and potential. If it looks like your student might thrive in a different situation, we will do what we can to direct you to other options.
Thank you for your interest, and I look forward to working with you. If I can be of help in this process, please feel free to contact me.
Stephen E. Tiemann
Admissions & Transition Director
Finding the right educational and social “fit” for your child can be an exciting and confusing time. Our hope is that we can be a helpful resource to you during this process. Each student’s story is unique and we honor and cherish that diversity. We would love for your story to begin here with us!
How to Apply
We have rolling admissions throughout the year. Applying is easy using our Online Application. This online process provides parents a tool for tracking the status of their admission after their application has been submitted.
*A non-refundable fee of $275 must be submitted with each application.
Create an Online Application
To begin the Online Application process, Create an Account. Then log in to your account and Create A New Student Application for your child. You will then have the flexibility to log in and out of your account and access your open application.
After submitting the application, you will be able to track online your admissions status at the school by logging in to your account. There you will be able to print the completed applications, monitor when the school receives supplemental application forms and, if necessary, reprint the supplemental forms.
Complete and return forms: All forms available online.
- Informed Consent
- Student Mental Health Form
- Authorization for disclosure on all schools from last two years, current therapists/counselors, and current psychiatrists
*You must complete and submit all forms before you can move to the next step in the Admission process.
Tuition & Fees
Application and Enrollment Fees are nonrefundable and must be received with the signed contract in order to be considered for placement during the coming school year.
Supply Fee is nonrefundable and must be received with the signed contract. This fee covers the cost of miscellaneous expenses including the following:
- Emergency supply packs
- General school supplies
- Textbooks, E-Books, Apps, Classroom Materials
The services and items purchased on behalf of the student are the possession of Gateway Academy.
|Fee (2020-2021)||Amount||Due Date|
|Application Fee||$300||With Application|
|Enrollment Fee/Re-enrollment Fee||$2,000||With Contract|
|Supply Fee||$2,000||With Contract|
Click here for Financial Assistance requests.
Come Visit Us
We look forward to meeting you!
We appreciate your interest and hope to assist you in any way we can. If you have not already done so, please make an appointment to visit.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact us at 713-659-7900 or fill out the form here.
Our address and a map can be found here.